Did you know that posting your food on Instagram is scientifically proven to have benefits? According to a study in the Journal of Consumer Marketing, there are benefits that come with taking pictures of the food we eat. By taking a picture of your food it forces you to have to wait before eating and this gives you delayed gratification, making you feel that the food actually tastes better. This is the case for indulgent or fancier meals, but not necessarily the case for simple meals such as cereal or toast. Food photographs can also increase excitement for a meal by sharing it with your friends and family.
People tend to take pictures of their food for a variety of reasons but some common reasons include:
- To remember a special event
- To share a meal you are proud that you made yourself (Most common reason)
- To share a meal to show that someone important made for you
- It’s a special treat or unique meal
- It looks beautiful or like art
- To show that you are eating healthy meals
According to a web psychologist, Digital Blonde, the most common food dishes to be posted are: art dish, steak, and Christmas dinner. In terms of treats, the most common desserts that people post are cake, chocolate pudding, and fruit dessert. Some people don’t just consider the finished product on a plate of the people eating it, but also the ingredients used to make the product.
Some popular food photography include:
- The lonely food item – Bloggers have embraced melancholic food by taking a picture of a single food item against a plain background with soft window light.
- The Flash – Some people use flash in food photography to add color to the image. This trend is often used in advertisements and commercials. When using flash for food photography, it’s important to use caution to ensure that the images show the real qualities of the food.
- #struggleplate – This is a funny food trend that has become popular over the past year to show food failures, but if this is a trend you
- #foodporn – This is a popular hashtag on Twitter and Instagram to share delicious food and meals. This has been included in advertisements, cooking shows, blogs, and all over social media.
The trend of taking pictures of food is especially important for restaurant owners. People are taking photographs of their food before they even eat the meal. If the meal is displayed attractively, the consumer is more likely to snap a picture and share it with their friends. The challenge is to create savory dishes and meals that have the greatest create discussions and food photography.
Let us know in the comments if you ever take pictures of your food. If so, what types of food do you tend to take pictures of and do you share the pictures with your friends?