January 19 is National Popcorn Day! Celebrate the day with your favorite type of popcorn whether that’s prepared in the microwave, the stovetop, a popcorn popping machine, over the fire, or a ready to eat bag from the store! Popcorn can be a super fun and healthy snack! Here are some fun popcorn facts:
- Americans eat around 17 billion quarts of popcorn every year. This amount would fill the Empire State Building 18 times!
- By volume, popcorn is America’s favorite snack!
- The oldest ears of popcorn ever came from Mexico and over more that 4,000 years old.
- Popcorn is the official snack of Illinois and they have celebrated “Popcorn Day” ever since 1958.
- Sugar was rationed during WWII so Americans ate three times as much popcorn during this time.
- Popcorn had been sold in theaters since 1912. In theaters, for ever dollar spent on popcorn, approximately 90 cents is profit.
- Popcorn sales had decreased when TVs started entering American homes because this lead to lower movie ticket sales and popcorn sales at movies.
- A single popcorn kernel pops with so much force that it can be propelled up to three feet in the air.
- Popcorn can be a very healthy snack:
- Popcorn is a whole grain that provides 31 calories per cup. 3 cups of popcorn = 1 full serving of whole grains
- High in fiber, low in fat, and contains no salt or sugar
- Popcorn contains more antioxidants than fruits and vegetables
- Thanks to the invention of microwave popcorn, 70% of popcorn is consumed in homes!
Let us know what type of popcorn you’ll eat to celebrate National Popcorn Day!